Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammie

Help with install of css

Hey  guys  buddy of  mine  got  half life  2  with  css on it  starts with    cd  1  and  installs all 5  cd  but  doesnt  ask for  cd key    and  after the install  says  game  its  not installed 

whats  up  with  that ?

he bought from a  store but they wont take it back because it  open  now ..  any idea 's 

hammie

Heres what I would tell him to do...... uninstall the game, through "add or remove programs". Download steam. And I am pretty sure he can enter his key on there. Then, he can choose to download and install CSS through steam.

I have no idea why installing from the CD's are not working for him.

Guest Catalyst

Hammie.....I have heard of retail copies of HL2 not working because people have generated the CD key illegally and it shows in use already.  This may be a possibility also. A guy I used to play with, MAP, had that issue not to long ago.

-Catalyst

Hammie, you have turned typing into and artform

It's    a    delicate    artform    and    honestly      it's    a    pain  to type        like    that.

if    it's    a  pain             then   why k e e p    doing    it?  Perhaps   it's   not  a pain        to     h a m m i e

In all seriousness I hope the issue isn't what Catalyst suggests but I can see that being a problem.  If someone happened to generate a false key before this real one was issued it would already be registered and seem legit.

h e  bought      from a store .eb  games    and they  wont  take it  back  i  thing  it was  us ed      than xs    idee d  !!!!! !  ! 1! 1 1 ! 1  ! !1 ! ! 1 1 !

Guest BeaverKing

I   sure  hope    that's   just   Dragon   Naturally        Speaking    acting  up ,   otherwise    Canada's   got  bigger   problems   than   I   thought .  ;)

but yeah, installing through steam will fix it unless the key's been in use previously illegitimately, and good luck contacting steam/valve about fixing that. heh

Yeah I would say if your friend has the game then to simply DL steam and install the game accordingly to what he had originaly bought before he can play the game he'll have to of caorse enter the cd key at that time. If all else fails then he might ahave to suck it up and by the game again. If he still has the receipt you might even be able to prove you bought the game to steam then they might reactivate the cd key.