I'm back - how does this work...

OK, I'm back in the country now. I'm wondering what the, er, etiquette is in trying to get into a game or two. Over new year I noticed people online when I was awake (you were all off work I guess :-)) and sometimes saw people in LFD channels on vent, presumably in games. Now I don't want to wade in and interrupt people on vent mid-game... so what's the accepted way to say "hello, I'm here, and if you have a free slot I'm available"?

wade on in, happens all the time and so long as you dont start discussing the finer points of how to uninstall and reinstall your video card drivers, you'll get no grief from anyone.  riggs is right though, putting a vent comment is a good idea.  when im starting a game i browse vent on my 2nd monitor for those comments when sending invites from my lobby...

wade on in, happens all the time and so long as you dont start discussing the finer points of how to uninstall and reinstall your video card drivers, you'll get no grief from anyone.  riggs is right though, putting a vent comment is a good idea.  when im starting a game i browse vent on my 2nd monitor for those comments when sending invites from my lobby...

But I like reinstalling video drivers... :-(

Cool. Do people tend to just hang out in the root of vent, or in the root of LFD if they are after LFG, or what?

Make sure and add all of the bwa guys to your friends list as well (use the steam communities to help with the process).  Lobbies are filled by people who run down their friends list sending invites to people online. 

Oh my, how cumbersome - you'd think that could be done from groups rather than needing everybody a friend. But, done. I hope it doesn't annoy the 130-odd people I just invited...